Young Leaders Summit (YLS)
High school applicants (Class of 2019):
CLICK HERE for frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding the Young Leaders Summit
Volunteer staff applicants:
CLICK HERE for frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding the Young Leaders Summit volunteer role opportunities
The Young Leaders Summit (YLS) is a free four-day, overnight, college empowerment conference for a diverse cohort of low-income high school juniors, selected through a competitive application process. It is designed to give these young leaders the practical tools they need to successfully apply to top universities, have full access to scholarship and financial aid opportunities, and set a course for academic and career success.
DATE AND LOCATION
- August 9th – August 12th at The University of Chicago
- Current high school junior, Class of 2019 (senior in the fall of 2018-2019 academic year)
- 3.0 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent based on your school scale
- Low income, as defined by Pell eligibility
- Currently attends high school in the United States or a U.S. territory
- Plans to enroll full-time, in a four-year degree program, at a U.S. accredited, not-for-profit, private or public college or university after high school graduation
AN IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- An outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 20% of graduating class)
- Demonstrated leadership ability (as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities)
HOW TO APPLY:
- Create a Profile as a “Student”
- View “YLS Student Application 2018” Application on your Dashboard
YLS VOLUNTEER STAFF OPPORTUNITIES
Current college undergraduate student, join Young Leaders Summit (YLS) volunteer staff!
2018 YLS Dates and Locations:
- August 8th – August 12th at The University of Chicago (includes mandatory orientation day).
Apply for one of the following Volunteer YLS Staff positions:
Current freshmen in college who support all logistical components of the program. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: preparing and assisting with YLS session set up and execution; transporting, setting up, and breaking down signage and materials; and escorting students, speakers, and volunteers to assigned areas.
Support Crew applicants must pass a background check, and remain on campus for the entire YLS program, including orientation.
Summit Counselors (SCs)
Current college undergraduates responsible for serving as a mentor, supervising and leading their “squad”—a group of 7-8 YLS high school participants- throughout the course of the YLS. SCs serve as the point of contact for their students in the weeks leading up to, furing, and following the YLS program. SCs are responsible for facilitating workshop transitions, leading nightly debriefs with their YLS squad, and assisting with YLS sessions, as needed.
Summit Counselor applicants must pass a background check, and remain on campus for the entire YLS program, including orientation.
Program Leads (PLs)
Current college juniors or seniors who serve as the head coordinators for each YLS program, and as the point-of-contact for the Summit Counselors in the weeks leading up to and throughout the course of the program. The PLs work with YLS professional staff to train SCs and facilitate communication between YLS professional staff and the SCs. Program Leads are responsible for assisting with YLS sessions, reviewing daily schedules and room assignments, leading workshop transitions, facilitating nightly meetings with the SCs and YLS professional staff, and serving as on-site/overnight contact.
PLs must pass a background check, and remain on campus for the entire YLS program, including orientation.
Please Note: These are unpaid volunteer opportunities. YLC will cover the full cost of food, room and board throughout the conference, including orientation. There are limited available funds to cover travel for staff members to and from the host university, and will be considered on a case by case basis.