Institute on Neuroscience (ION) Summer Research Program
ION seeks applications from highly motivated high school students who have taken at least one college-level science course (e.g., AP Biology, Honors Chemistry, etc.). After participating in an introductory neuroscience course, ION Scholars are matched with mentors by interest to conduct a seven-week mentored laboratory research project. Weekly professional development workshops focus on topics such as scientific communication, the ethical conduct of research and special topics in neuroscience. At the conclusion of the program, students present their laboratory research results at the ION Research Symposium to an audience of peers, family, friends, teachers and community members.
- The internship program provides comprehensive preparation for the pursuit of undergraduate science majors.
- Student Scholars usually finish the program excited about neuroscience, with an interest in exploring neuroscience-related academic and professional careers.
- Student Scholars are hired and paid taxable hourly wages (through their matched institution) for their full-time commitment of 40 hr/wk during the eight-week program.
- Preference for high school students currently enrolled in their junior or senior year (must be 16 years old by June 4th).
- Grade point average of at least a 3.0 or the equivalent (B average).
- Advanced Placement (or other college level) science courses recommended.
- Able to commit full-time (40 hr/wk) to the entire 8-week program (cannot hold other employment or attend other camps during ION).
- Scholars must arrange in advance local Atlanta housing and transportation, and are responsible for their meals throughout the summer program.
All application materials must be received no later than midnight, Sunday, February 4, 2018 (including letters of recommendation and transcripts):
- Online Application Form – 2018 Application
- Personal Statement to be uploaded in the Online Application Form
- Current Resume to be uploaded in the Online Application Form
- Recommendation by a high school science teacher (emailed to ION@gsu.edu by the recommender)
- Recommendation by an adult not related to applicant (emailed to ION@gsu.edu by the recommender)
- Official High School Transcripts sent by the High School (emailed to ION@gsu.edu)
- Application Fee of $25 – Please use Georgia State University’s Marketplace for your secure online payment at GSU Marketplace
Applications will be reviewed, a subset of applicants will be invited to interview at Georgia State University in mid-March, and final decisions regarding acceptance will be made and applicants notified in early April.
Immunization records, current TB test results, drug test results, and tax documents will be required for all ACCEPTED Scholars.
If any application materials need to be mailed, please mail to the following address:
ION Summer Research Program
Georgia State University
PO Box 5090
Atlanta, GA 30302-5090
Downloadable PDF Flyer – 2018 ION Summer Research Program