Minority Teacher Recruitment Project (MTRP)
The Minority Teacher Recruitment Project at the University of Louisville addresses the shortage of minority teachers. The program is a partnership among the University of Louisville’s College of Education and Human Development, the Jefferson County Public Schools, and the schools of the Ohio Valley Education Cooperative.
Minority Teacher Scholarship Program
Scholarships of up to $5,000 annually are available to qualifying full- or part-time students of color pursuing initial teacher certification at U of L.
To apply, you must provide the following documents:
- Completed application form
- Brief (one to two pages), typed, double-spaced essay, “Why I Want to Teach”
- Complete set of official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Two letters of recommendation (letters from relatives will not be considered)
Submit all materials by July 1 for Fall Semester or November 1 for Spring Semester.
Who Should Apply
- Minority students who want to make a difference in the lives of children, particularly those in our urban schools. Applicants should be willing to challenge old assumptions, explore new approaches to learning, and work energetically toward a rewarding career in the teaching profession.
- Undergraduates who are interested in a teaching career and have completed their bachelor’s degree in either the College of Arts & Sciences, the College of Business, the School of Music or the Department of Health and Promotion, Physical Education and Sport Studies.
- Applicants should be prepared to make an intense commitment of approximately one year and be able to devote full time to student teaching during the spring semester of the program.
MTRP/FEA Summer Camp for High School Students
The MTRP/FEA Summer Camp is a week-long residential program for rising high school eleventh graders, twelfth graders, and graduating seniors interested in becoming educators. Campers participate in professional development workshops, extracurricular activities, and field trips while gaining exposure to life in a university setting. Scholarship opportunities are available for graduating seniors who will be enrolled in the College of Education and Human Development at University of Louisville in the upcoming fall semester. For additional information and/or an application, please contact the Minority Teacher Recruitment Office at (502) 852-7697.