AME Church Millennium Scholarship
The Millennium Scholarship was established by the Sixth Episcopal District Lay Organization on March 11, 2000 and will be presented to a worthy young man or woman, of Christian Faith, in the African Methodist Episcopal Church to aid in obtaining a college education. The funds for this scholarship will be administered by the Sixth Episcopal District Lay Organization of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
- Must be a member of an African Methodist Episcopal Church in the Sixth Episcopal District
- Must enroll in College as a freshman in the Fall 2017 with courses leading towards a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Must enroll in courses leading to a Bachelor’s Degree.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Applications will be reviewed by the scholarship selection committee. The committee’s composition will come from the membership of the Sixth Episcopal District Lay Organization. Committee members will evaluate the applicant’s package in its entirety. The scholarship recipient will receive official notification of the award via mail. All decisions of the committee are final. No materials will be returned. Only complete applications will be considered.
A single recipient will be chosen and will receive a Two Thousand Dollar ($2,000.00) scholarship award. The scholarship award will be distributed directly to the student after verification of enrollment for the fall 2017 semester or quarter. Any deviation from this procedure will be at the discretion of the Education Commission. In the event the student is unable to attend in the Fall of this year, the award will be returned to the scholarship fund.
Applicants must submit the following materials in one package:
- Completed application (must be typewritten).
- The Application Page (page 2) must be typewritten and any additional documents submitted by the applicant.
- A current official high school transcript (Must submit a copy of SAT/ACT Score Report if not included on the High School Transcript)
A Five Hundred (500) word typed essay (double spaced) on one of the following:
- Discuss some issue of personal, local, national or international concern and its importance to you.
- Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on your life, and describe that influence.
- How will Morris Brown College assist me in achieving my Career Goals?
- A minimum of two (2) letters of recommendation (one must be someone familiar with the students’ academic performance and potential)
- One from your Pastor, Local Lay Organization President, Church School Superintendent or Teacher
- One from your High School Teacher, High School Counselor, Administrator
The applicant may, if he or she chooses, submit in writing any information which would enhance the judges’ decision, provided it has not already been covered by the items listed above.
All materials must be postmarked on or before April 30, 2017.