Woody Brittain – Education is the Equalizer Scholarship
The Woody Brittain – Education Is the Equalizer Scholarship recognizes and cultivates outstanding young African-American students interested in science, technology and healthcare through a unique scholarship and mentoring program.
Who can participate?
African-American students in the 12th grade.
What is it?
- The Woody Brittain — Education Is the Equalizer Scholarship is a scholarship program that provides educational funding and mentoring to qualifying African-American students seeking a career in science, technology or healthcare.
- Scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate outstanding leadership,community service and academic performance.
- Scholarships are $7,500/year and are eligible for renewal for three consecutive years following the original award, subject to academic performance.
What is the timeline?
- Applications are now available. Click here for the full details. [Link to the application details]
- Applications and all components are due in January.
- Award winners are announced in the spring.
Why participate in this program?
Winners of this prestigious scholarship can opt to be a partner to a mentee/mentor relationship while in college as well as have exposure to the unique DaVita “Village” culture that has been studied by Harvard Business School and profiled in numerous publications.
Ideally, it is our hope that recipients of this scholarship award may also assist and mentor future Woody Brittain award recipients to build a growing network and lasting legacy of education, personal and professional growth, and service to the community.
Ready to apply? Here’s how:
- First, get familiar with what’s required on the application, and start gathering the components. Please be aware that all components must be completed before submitting an eligible application.
- Academic records showing a 3.0 GPA or above during 10th and 11th grades
- Personal statement
- Letters of recommendation (3)*
- Community involvement response
- Signed Release & Affidavit Form (see application details)
- Click here to download the component details. [Link to Details]
- Once you’ve gathered all the components, complete the applicant information page and attach your completed application components. All pieces must be submitted by January 16th, 2015. [Click here to submit.]
* If necessary, letters of recommendation can be sent directly to ScholarshipFoundations@davita.com
Questions? Please email ScholarshipFoundations@davita.com.