Wells Fargo Veterans Scholarship Program
Wells Fargo is strongly invested in supporting our nation’s veterans, including a commitment to assist them in completing postsecondary education programs to help them return to, and succeed in, a competitive job market. The Wells Fargo Veterans Scholarship Program provides scholarships to fill unmet financial need of veterans after military benefits and other grants and scholarships have been packaged by their school. This financial support will allow veterans to focus on completing their education and reduce reliance on student loans.
The program is administered by Scholarship America®, the nation’s largest designer and manager of scholarship and tuition reimbursement programs for corporations, foundations, associations and individuals. Awards are granted without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender, disability or national origin.
Applicants to the Wells Fargo Veterans Scholarship Program must:
- Be honorably-discharged (no longer drilling) veterans or spouses of disabled veterans who have served in the United States military, including the Reserves and National Guard, and have received a Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs or another document of service.
- Be high school or GED graduates who plan to enroll or students who are already enrolled in full-time undergraduate (first Bachelor’s) or graduate (first Master’s degree) study at an accredited two-year or four-year college, university, or vocational-technical school* for the entire upcoming academic year.
*College must not be on warning or probationary status with the federal government, or must not be in litigation with the federal government or a state.
- Be Pell-eligible and have applied for Title IV and completed FAFSA to ensure full discovery of actual unmet need.
- Use any military education benefits for which they are eligible in the upcoming academic year.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale, or its equivalent.
Award amounts will be determined after military education benefits and federal, state, institutional grants and other scholarships are calculated. Awards may be renewed for up to three additional years or until a bachelor’s or master’s degree is earned, whichever occurs first. Renewal is contingent upon satisfactory academic performance in a full-time course of study. Award amounts will increase by $1,000 each year.
Awards are for educational expenses including tuition, fees, books, supplies, room and board, and transportation.
Awards may be deferred for an interruption in study due to medical, health and other extenuating circumstances. Requests for deferral will be handled on a case by case basis.
- Start by clicking Register to Apply at the bottom of this page. You will need to read and agree to a consent statement, supply a unique and valid email address, and create a username and password.
- Correspondence throughout the application process will be by email. Email messages will be sent to the username and email address registered when you created your account. Students failing to use a valid active email account that will accommodate bulk mail may not receive consideration. Be sure to add email@example.com to your contacts or address book and check your email regularly!
- Complete the application by entering data in the format described. Proper punctuation and standard capitalization (Jill Smith, 10 Main Street, New York, NY) must be used.
- During the application process, you may leave the site prior to submission by clicking on the Save and Log out link located on each application page. To return to the application, you must login using your username and password. Saving the application will not submit application.
- Applications are evaluated on the information supplied; therefore answer all questions as completely as possible.
- Applications and all required documents must be submitted electronically by the deadline in order for your application to be processed.
- Once all application requirements are satisfied, the Lock and Submit button will be available to you near the bottom of the Review Application page.
- Carefully review your application before clicking the Lock and Submit button. Once submitted, you will no longer have access to your application.
- It is recommended that you print a hard copy of your application for your records.
- You will receive an email acknowledgment of your submitted application.
As part of your application, you must upload the following supporting documents prior to application submission:
- A current, complete transcript of grades. Grade reports are not accepted. Transcripts must display student name, school name, grade and credit hours for each course and term in which each course was taken.
- Copy of DD214(preferred) OR Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs OR other document of service. Be sure your DD214 includes “Special Additional Information”.
- Current college financial aid award letter (preferred) OR Student Aid Report (SAR) from most recent FAFSA filed.
- If applicant is the spouse of a disabled veteran, provide VA disability letter and copy of marriage license.
Your application is not complete unless all required documents are submitted electronically.
Your application must be submitted by February 28, 2018 by 11:59 p.m. CST.
Selection of Recipients
Recipients are selected on the basis of academic performance, demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities, work experience, and two essays:
- statement of military service, and career and educational goals and objectives
- statement describing any personal and financial challenges that may be barriers to completing postsecondary education
Financial need will be considered.
Scholarship America will select finalists from the group of eligible, complete applications. Finalist applications will be reviewed by a review committee of Wells Fargo Veteran Team Members. Based on the above criteria, Scholarship America will select recipients and determine award amounts. All applicants agree to accept the decision as final.
Applicants will be notified in mid May. Not all applicants to the program will be selected as recipients. Recipients will be required to submit a college financial aid award letter for the upcoming academic year before award amount is determined.
Payment of Scholarships
Scholarship America processes scholarship payments on behalf of Wells Fargo. Payment is made in one installment in mid July. Checks are mailed to each recipient’s home address and are made payable to the school for the student.
Recipients have no obligation to Wells Fargo. They are, however, required to notify Scholarship America of any changes in address, school enrollment, or other relevant information, and to send a complete official transcript when requested.
Wells Fargo reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time including termination of the program.
Questions? Contact us:
Call: 1-507-931-1682 and ask for the Wells Fargo Veterans Scholarship Program