Taylor Michaels Scholarship
The Taylor Michaels Scholarship Program, founded in 1998, is aptly named after Taylor Michaels, the inspiring Chief Operating Officer for Magic Johnson Enterprises who passed away during that year. Throughout her life, Taylor displayed an intense passion and commitment to youth development. For 14 years, MJF has carried her passion forward via our program.
Each year we select approximately 30 Scholars who demonstrate a strong potential for academic achievement, but face socioeconomic challenges hindering their full expression. MJF commits to holistically supporting each TMSP Scholar throughout their entire undergraduate career.
WE PROVIDE CRITICAL SERVICES AND SUPPORT WHICH MAKE THE DIFFERENCE:
- $2,000-5,000 annual tuition assistance-renewable up to 5 years•
- An annual Life Skills Leadership Conference•
- Comprehensive Career Development Rubric curriculum•
- Laptop computers Freshman Year•
- 1:1 career, academic, and life skills counseling throughout the year•
- Access to internships and mentors
ABOUT THE LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE
Held each summer in Los Angeles, our annual Leadership Conference provides the tools and resources to support the Career and Character Development of our undergraduate Scholars. Leadership development is integral to the mission of MJF. The Foundation views leadership as a tool for creating progressive and proactive change within underserved minority communities.
- Applicants must be a graduating high school senior.
- Applicants must have and maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.5 (C+) on a 4.0 system.
- Applicants must reside in the Metropolitan areas of Atlanta, Lansing, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Houston, New York or Los Angeles County.
- Applicants must be attending a four-year college/university in the fall.
- Applications will be judged on the following criteria: compelling essay, academic achievement, evidence of leadership, community service and letters of recommendation
- Essays must specificallyaddress each question below.]
- ESSAY #1- PERSONAL STATEMENT. Please tell us about yourself. What is your definition of leadership? Describe your personal achievements and accomplishments. Explain any obstacles you have overcome in your life and how they have made an impact.
- ESSAY #2- COLLEGE PLAN. Why do you wish to attend college? What field of study do you intend to pursue? How do you plan to distinguish yourself as a leader in the future?