Overview – 2 Million Minutes
The video trailer from the movie, “2 Million Minutes,” provides a glimpse into the lives of high school students in the United States, India, and China and their attitudes toward their 2 million minute, 4-year high school experience. As a high school junior, you have less than 18 months before most of your college applications will need to be submitted. There is not much time to create a plan to prepare yourself for the enormous competition to gain admission into top colleges and qualify for top scholarships.
The Lesson associated with this activity will guide you in reviewing your résumé and setting goals for the areas within your overall student profile (i.e., academics, community service, extracurricular activities, and leadership) where you want to focus your attention throughout your high school experience.
- Review your résumé and assess your strengths and weaknesses.
- Set goals within each area that are consistent with your college or career aspirations.
- Engage in self-reflection of how you will use your high school experience to develop the most appropriate college-bound plan based on your gifts, talents, and family circumstances.
Estimated time to complete: 1 hour
- What weaknesses should I commit to overcoming, such as low grades, lack of leadership, or lack of having received formal recognition?
- What strengths do I have that I could potentially develop into scholarship potential?
- How how I positioned myself to maximize my 2 million minutes of high school?