Lesson – Dual Degree Programs (Narrative)
Activity: Dual Degree Programs. While most students begin college focused primarily on earning an associate’s or undergraduate degree, dual degree programs offer unique degree and learning opportunities for earning degrees in multiple disciplines or earning multiple degrees, such as:
- Earning two undergraduate degrees from two different institution, typically in two disciplines such as physics and engineering. Some programs offer the opportunity to attend an undergraduate institution, like an HBCU, where you may awarded one degree and attend another institution, such as Fisk-Vanderbilt Dual Degree in Science and Engineering or Xavier University of Louisiana Dual Degree Program with multiple partner schools.
- Earning an undergraduate degree and a masters degree in an accelerated program.
- A dual degree program can also provide a pathway into an Ivy League institution for students who may have otherwise been denied admission as a freshman applicant, such as the Dartmouth Dual-Degree Program with 20 other institutions.
- Other programs offer opportunities to earn a master’s degree and a PhD. Programs span across liberal arts, law, medicine, engineering, and other disciplines.
Video: After viewing the video provided with this activity and complete the dual degree-related questions on the Narrative: “The Type of College Experience I Would Like to Pursue and Why”
Additional videos about the honors colleges experience that you may choose to review:
- Video: Marietta College’s Dual Degree Engineering Program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3LpQOkge0
- Video: Atlanta University Center dual degree program with the University of Michigan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwDNosqf42U
- Video: Washington University dual degree programs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxT0v2S65oE
- Video: Worcester Polytechnic Institute BS/MS Dual Degree Program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkUrm891T1Q