Lesson – Careers and College Majors
Activity 1: Research career and future job prospects. The U.S. government’s My Next Move and U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook websites provide opportunities to identify careers related to both your passions and your personality.
- Research: Go to the U.S. Department of Labor, My Next Move, website: www.mynextmove.org/
- Complete the Interest Profiler: Select“Tell us what you like to do” and complete the 60-question Interest Profiler and add your scores to the Narrative: Careers and College Majors
- Search Careers: Based on your interest profile or previous career aspirations, Select “Search careers with key words.” Choose a career field and complete the Narrative: Careers and College Majors
- U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook (https://www.bls.gov/ooh/ ): Review your career and and write a narrative summary about your career choice
Activity 2: Research college opportunities. Use your career or college major as part of your Internet search criteria to explore college opportunities.
- Research: Use the following Internet search phrases to identify colleges and universities offering your desire major:
- “best colleges for + your major” (e.g., best colleges for computer science)
- “best colleges for + your career” (e.g., best colleges for accountants)
- “best + your major + programs for + (you may also include qualifying terms such as gender, racial group, or first generation students)” (e.g., best engineering programs for women)
- “best + your career + programs for + (you may also include qualifying terms such as gender, racial group, or first generation students)” (e.g., best nursing programs for men)
- “best + your major + programs in + your state” (best engineering programs in Texas)
- Experiment with other phases such as, “best programs for women in technology,” “best colleges for women and minorities in STEM,” “best colleges for first generation students.”
Supplemental Research: The following websites will allow you to explore career options and salary projections.
- College Salary Report:http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/common-jobs-for-majors
- Major and Career Search:https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/majors-careers#
- Best College Majors for Highest Paying Careers: https://www.geteducated.com/career-center/best-college-majors-highest-paying-jobs
- 50 best highest-paying college majors based on starting salaries: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/19/the-50-highest-paying-college-majors.html
- U.S. Census Bureau “Where Do College Graduates Work?” http://www.census.gov/dataviz/visualizations/stem/stem-html/
- U.S. Census Bureau “Pathways After a Bachelor’s Degree” infographics: https://www.census.gov/library/visualizations/2012/comm/pathways-series.html