Lesson – Dual Degree Programs
Dual degree programs may be offered in multiple disciplines (such as computer science and computer engineering), multiple colleges (such as Dillard University and Georgia Tech), or combine undergraduate and graduate degrees (such as an undergraduate degree in business and an MBA). In the video, a student discusses her dual degree experience. While most students begin college focused primarily on earning an associate’s or a bachelor’s degree, dual degree programs offer unique degree and learning opportunities for earning degrees in multiple disciplines or earning multiple degrees, such as:
- Earning two undergraduate degrees from two different institution, typically in two disciplines such as physics and engineering. Some programs offer the opportunity to attend an undergraduate institution, like an HBCU, where you may be awarded one degree and attend another institution, such as the Fisk-Vanderbilt Dual Degree in Science and Engineering or Xavier University of Louisiana Dual Degree Program with multiple partner schools. Current cohort students are attending dual degree programs between Xavier University of Louisiana and Georgia Tech; and Dillard University and Georgia Tech. Both students will still have one year of their Georgia HOPE Scholarship eligibility during their two years of attending Georgia Tech.
- Earning an undergraduate degree and a master’s degree in an accelerated program.
- A dual degree program can also provide a pathway into an Ivy League institution for students who may have otherwise been denied admission as a freshman applicant, such as the Dartmouth Dual-Degree Program with 20 other institutions.
- Other programs offer opportunities to earn a master’s degree and a PhD. Programs span across the humanities, law, medicine, engineering, and other disciplines.
Additional videos about the dual degree program experience that you may choose to review:
- Video: Marietta College’s Dual Degree Engineering Program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3LpQOkge0
- Video: Atlanta University Center dual degree program with the University of Michigan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwDNosqf42U
- Video: Washington University dual degree programs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxT0v2S65oE
- Video: Worcester Polytechnic Institute BS/MS Dual Degree Program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkUrm891T1Q
- Video:The Meyerhoff Scholars Program, at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, is not a dual degree program, but provides an intentional pathway from an undergraduate degree to an MD/PhD and awards a scholarship to students accepted into the program.